Friday, March 29, 2013

Will it ever happen?

Well  it looks as if it's been a while since I've updated this tirade. I think I'm moving toward a stage where I just don't give a flying fuck about what is happening in society. I don't know if I just got completely burned out during the election cycle, or what it is, but I am nonetheless burned out. I'm finding that every time I visit the websites I get news from, there are about 90% of things contained therein that I simply do not care to hear about, and the bulk of that is entertainment news. I don't know why, maybe I'm depressed, or getting depressed; but really who cares what Hollywood starlet is banging which star, or what they wore to what event, or what young punk is embroiled in whatever dumbass conflict. But, regardless it seems impossible to avoid hearing about it.

Maybe I should go to different websites, or just take a long holiday from the always-on, constantly connected world that we live in today. I'm betting that a few weeks in the woods would cure all of what is ailing my spirit, because this idiot world just seems to get worse by the day.

We're feasting on the trails and tribulations of others, the secret domestic lives of denizens of trailer parks, and the retrograde politics of morality are creating constant friction amongst us in our connected lives. Frankly, I find it a disappointing time to be alive. I suppose growing up, I thought that by this time in my life, humanity would have solved so many of the trivial things that seem to be major issues of conflict today, many of which were solved by previous generations, but old wounds are stirred again and some segments of society, that happen to have power, are driving wedges into society and undermining the very fabric of mankind for the sole benefit of profiting at the expense of others.

The governments of the world are heading towards new wars before they even solve the conflicts from previous wars. There doesn't seem to be much hope that things will change and we'll get that peaceful world that has been talked about for so long by so many, instead society seems to be in decline and retreat toward a draconian age where rights are diminished instead of expanded, peace becomes fleeting at the most simple levels, and the individual is shackled to debts they can't meet with a burdens that will never be lifted. This is an exhausting and uncertain time to live, which is sad, because we as a race have the capabilities to live in a veritable paradise, if it weren't for the widespread oppression brought about by unchecked global capitalism.

The human race should, by now in my opinion, have found greater capabilities to tolerate the differences which strengthen us, instead of allowing those differences to become the weaknesses that divide us. Yet, there doesn't seem to be a lot of hope that this will ever be the case. All of our separate ideologies simply won't coalesce into widespread peace. We can't even respect our planet enough to protect it, instead we are hell-bent on turning our lands into massive desolate wastes, fracked, and raped into uninhabitability.

I made a joke last week by pondering that someone at NASA once said, "We'll never get to Uranus if we don't work together." Of course it's juvenile sounding, but it sums up one of the greatest failures of the human race in my opinion, and that is the constant urge to 'get there first' among the nations of the world. It's foolish to think that mankind will ever make it to another planet without the cooperation of multiple nations, it's simply too resource and capital intensive for one country to attempt to send a manned mission to another planet, or deep into interstellar space, instead our national pride leads to failure, and those dreams are cast into the waste bin.

Perhaps I've always naively believed that there would be a day on this rock that all of the  races of men would find a way to cooperate to achieve together the unthinkable, such as solving all of the problems of the world hunger, strife amonst nations, interpersonal relationships, but those things are apparently just dreams. We're still far to immature to make it off this rock and into the depths of space, we can't get along with each other over the most trivial issues, how would we ever cooperate on massive projects that could advance all of mankind?


No comments: