Monday, January 30, 2012

Walking with a limp because of exploded glass

I sumbitted the following letter to consumeraffairs.com and the newly created Consumer Protection agency after I had first-hand proof that the internet myth of 'exploding pyrex' was a proven reality. I think at this point in my life, I'm so sick of coping with the tactics and efforts of the purveyors of products, their messages, and the overall insult to my own intelligence that I just don't give a literal fuck anymore that I'm ready to start speaking out to governing bodies about the conditions that normal everyday people are facing in this country on a daily basis.

C'mon, let's face it. People like Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich, and Barack Obama aren't preparing their own food, cleaning their own toilets, or doing their own laundry today. So, clearly they haven't the faintest idea of what typical people like you and I are facing everyday. 

The stupid things like I'm mentioning in the following submitted letter are just a miniscule percent of the frag mines that normal American citizens are facing on a daily basis thanks to the dangers of a globalized economy.


Let's just say that I'm okay. I've still got all of my limbs, both eyes, a fully functional respiratory system, and a working way of eliminating wastes from my God-given body. But, I can imagine that there are those that are less fortunate from the experiences that I've endured. Those with worse outcomes, they are who you should concern yourself with, and they are the subjects of the letters which I have written to the consumeraffairs.com and Consumer Protection Agency.


Things could have been a lot worse for me. I've got the burned lineoleum, scars, and photos to bear that out.
The following is a paste of the letter I sent to consumeraffairs.com. 

(The letter was only edited mildly for the Consumer Protection Agency)

I was preparing dinner, a fillet of S'wai baked in the oven. I wrapped the fillet in tin foil and set it down in a pyrex casserole dish. I cooked it for about 22 minutes on 400 degrees. When I pulled out the dish and set it on the top of the stove, the dish exploded! Maybe, exploded is a bit drastic sounding, but let's just say it blew itself apart into shards all over the kitchen, otherwise a small explosion of the materials.

As a result, the bottom of my foot got burned and I got a couple of cuts on my legs. I wasn't wearing shoes since I was fairly certain that I wouldn't have anything to worry about cooking in my own kitchen.

Why the hell hasn't someone said that there should be some kind of warning label put onto these dishes bearing the PYREX trademark? It's utterly ridiculous that people are risking being maimed by their cookware in this day and age just because someone wants to save a few dollars on a cook pan.

Someone needs to bring a class action lawsuit against the makers of these damned things until they finally agree to put a big bright label on the cartons that reads, "The use of this product may lead to random explosions during food preparation. Thanks, have a good day."

Admittedly, I got off easy, but the burn on the bottom of my foot could have been a burn on my face, a burn on any other part of my body, or a shard of 400 degree glass in my eye. Someone should sift through the thousands of anecdotal accounts on the web and bring a class action lawsuit against these people who are still producing this volatile cookware. Geez, it sounds like such a joke! But it happens, I can attest to it! I can show you the photos of the injuries if necessary!

It's like a terrorist attack from the manufacturing industry every time that someone heats something made of this stuff up in the microwave.

I know that there are some differences in the materials, borosilicate glass  vs. soda lime glass, well someone needs to make sure that there are different trademarks for these products so people aren't putting their lives in their hands when they are baking a lasagna!

Slightly injured but making it,

Mark k. McGehee

No comments: